Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Some early Thanksgiving Thankfullness...




I know it's not Thanksgiving just yet, but My husband, kids, and I were in the car tonight and he told me this Thanksgiving poem he had heard on WCIC, our favorite radio station. It could not be more true. Then he told me what he was Thankful for, it was really sweet :) I am Thankful for my Husband of almost 9 years who works so hard and does his best for his family each and everyday, I am Thankful for the 2 most beautiful, healthy, happy boys, I am Thankful for all of my family, I have so many things to be Thankful for.

 Thanksgiving

         Lord, thank you for this sink of dirty dishes,
            We have plenty of food to eat.


       Thank you for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry,
            We have plenty of nice clothes to wear.


And I would like to thank you, Lord, for those unmade beds in there,
            They were so warm and so comfortable last night.
            I know that many have no bed.


My thanks to you, Lord, for this bathroom, complete with all the
           splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory,
           They are so convenient. 


Thank you for this finger smudged refrigerator that needs defrosting so
           badly, it has served us faithfully for many, many years.
           It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three
                       meals. 


Thanks you, Lord, for this oven that absolutely must be cleaned today,
           It has baked so many things over the years. 


The whole family is grateful for that tall grass that needs mowing,
            The lawn that needs raking: we all enjoy the yard.


Thank you, Lord, even for that slamming screen door.
            My kids are healthy and able to run and play.


Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me says you have richly
           blessed my family.


          I shall do them all cheerfully
           And I shall do them gratefully.



 This time of year, with the Holidays, and the cold I remind myself of the everyday necessities that we sometimes forget to be Thankful for, like heat, food, water, being able to buy my kids warm coats, hats, and gloves. It's tough for so many, it's tough for us. But we have what we need, our kids have what they need, and I cannot imagine them going without. My husband and I were talking about it tonight and how so many people are in need of so many things, including little things like coats for their kids. I just can't imagine. This is the happiest most joyous time of the year and it always breaks my heart just thinking about those who don't have these things.

This year I signed up for the Angel program through JCPenney's.com you can pick a child by age and location, buy what is on their need and want list, and if you order it from JCPenney's website you get free shipping, it does not ship directly to the child, none of that info is disclosed of course but it goes to the local Salvation Army where you live who then delivers them. Your items do not have to be purchased from JCPenney, you can buy them anywhere and drop them locally. I chose a girl, I have none and now I get to buy a cute little doll and a girly coat. Is it something we could really afford? Not really, but with my bargain shopping abilities I knew I could find something nice.

What do you do to help? What are you Thankful for?

How about that cute centerpiece up there from Better Homes and Garden, That would be super cute filled with Christmas goodies!

Have a Great One!




No comments: